Is There Mold In My Fireplace & Chimney?
Are you concerned that there’s mold growing in your fireplace and chimney? It is common for mold to grow indoors but it is extremely dangerous for your health. A musty odor is usually the first sign of mold growing in your fireplace and should be taken seriously. If you have noticed this in your chimney, you will need a professional chimney sweep to inspect it. Here are some signs of mold growth, the reasons why it happens, and how you can combat it.
Mold Warning Signs
Just like in other areas of your home, mold can be hard to detect. You often don’t see it forming, but eventually, you will be able to smell it. In fact, the odor is what homeowners will notice first. Mold has a distinct, unpleasant scent that is exceptionally intense. The smell of mold is the most common way to detect it. Another less noticeable warning sign is breathing or other respiratory symptoms. Mold can cause a host of serious medical conditions that should not be ignored. If you or any other member of your family is experiencing unusual health issues, it is worth having a chimney specialist evaluate to make sure there isn’t mold hiding in plain sight.
The Causes of Mold
One reason you could be seeing mold growth in your fireplace or chimney is due to excess moisture. Like any other dark and damp area, chimneys are highly susceptible to mold growth if not correctly waterproofed. The right conditions for mold growth are a combination of inadequate ventilation, improper sealing, and darkness. A leaking chimney cap can also be to blame. Unfortunately, your fireplace and chimney can be ideal spaces for mold growth. Therefore, it is highly suggested to work with a specialist on regular repair and maintenance.
Mold Removal and Cleanup
If you happen to see mold or were told you have it in your chimney or fireplace by a professional, you should act fast to remove it. Only certified chimney specialists should handle mold removal and cleanup. This is not a DIY job and attempting it without the proper training and equipment can be extremely dangerous and cause more issues to your fireplace. Mold will still be found inside your chimney even if you attempt to clean it off the outer surface, so it is best to have an expert examine the entire area. During the removal process, experts like the National Fireplace Institute (NFI) certified technicians at Chimney Specialists use commercial-grade cleaners and special techniques to remove any mold from the fireplace to the top of the chimney.
Removing the mold is only half of the battle. It is critically important to address the reasons why mold was growing in the first place. There are several reasons why this could be happening, and a thorough inspection from Chimney Specialists can pinpoint the issue(s). Once any problems are repaired, the best way to prevent mold going forward is an annual inspection. We offer three chimney inspection levels depending on the severity of your need.
Do you need help with mold removal in your chimney or fireplace, or do you suspect that you might have some growing? Call today at 608-929-4887 to schedule a chimney & fireplace inspection.